Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Connecting remote sites

Our Company has two sites, and are adding a new one. The two are currently

connected over a dedicated T1 link using 1720's. We are adding another site, and i am thinking to take one of the 1720's to the new site, and get a 3750 for the main site, with two wics and a fast ethernet.

Any advice suggestions for memory, ios, parts etc ....?

or any better ways to do this?

3 REPLIES

Re: Connecting remote sites

I think, the 3700 models, have 3725 and 3745, and not a 3750.

Is the 3rd site going to be a main site, like a HQ ? Placing the 3700 would be better at the main HQ.

One advantage of using 3700 is that, you can insert a 16 or 36 port switch module on to one of its slot. You should consider 3700 only if you plan to expand the Wan connections, in future. Its a good router if you plan for heavy integration. You can use 2 port serial WICs for the T1 leased lines, or if you can go for a 56k CSU inbuilt WIC for a 56k line.

I would recommend, going for a 2600 or even a 1700, because, they are cheap, and would do the job you need, to put two leased lines, on them.

A 1720 would cost you around 1600 dollars, while a 2620 would cost you around 2200 to 2300 dollars, while a 3700 series would start at 8995 dollars.

Hope it helps!

The new router will be at the main site, i don't see much use for this except for what i have described. There will be about 45 people accessing the HQ. The app is bandwidth intensive.

thanks

Well, the 2620 does have enough horsepower to terminate two T1s, You also have the option of adding an extra Network module on the 2620. Also costwise 2600 is much cheaper than a 3725.

But if you plan to expand, in the next few years time, (say to 5-10 sites) you might want to consider going for a the new 26xx series. such as the 2651 or 2691. Cost of 2651 is 4300 dollars, while 2691 is 6300 dollars.

Also when the number of sites increases, its cheaper to go for Framerelay rather than leased lines.

Views
Helpful
Replies