Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

connecting router to switch

i connected the fastethernet interface of my router to a switch using a straight through cable and i got a link. now, after installing an ethernet interface (which i know works fine) on my router, i move the same cable from the fastethernet port to the ethernet port and i get no link light (interface is up but line protocol is down). wehn i replace the cable with a X-over, i get the link up. i thought you only use X-over when connecting same OSI layer equipment? or do i have to add some extra commands when moving from fastethernet to ethernet interface?

I have no control over the switch, and don't even know what kind it is. all i know is that a straight through cable is droped and that is what was connecting successfully to my router until the day i moved it to the newly installed ehternet interface, then it stopped working. but when i cross my end of that cable and plug it in, it starts working? what am i missing?

Martin

1 REPLY

Re: connecting router to switch

Here are some guesses:

Maybe the switch having problems with negotiation.

# Your FE interface can negotiate speed and duplex.

# Your E interface cant negotiate, because its only got 10Mbps/Half duplex.

# The switch maybe negotiates speed, duplex, spanning tree, IP telephone power, vlan trunking etc.

# Maybe the switch has the feature of auto mdi/mdi-x.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content