Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Connecting satelite offices with a 100Mbps

A client needed a 100Mbps connection between two offices that are located approximately 3 miles apart. Short of laying cables between the two offices, what are the combined of equipments that can be used to accomplish this? I have been looking into a combination of remote access routers, PIX 515 Firewall and IDS-4230.

4 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Connecting satelite offices with a 100Mbps

Do you actually need 100Mbps between the 2 buildings?

Unless you run some fiber between them, it's going to cost you. You'll have to go with either 2xT-3s or 1xOC-3, or something similar.

Community Member

Thanks for your help. That is what I tell the client and they said that is what they wanted...a 100Mbps connection between the two offices. When I asked them why, they told me there will be about 20 people transfering/sharing files back and forth (accounting data)all day long between the two offices. What will you do if you were them? Run a VPN through a T-1 or a T-3 connection between the two buildings?

If you're lucky enough to have rights-of-way, or to a carrier that does, you might be able to simply install a long-haul fastethernet fiber link to them.

But probably not. In that case, 2 T-3's get you close (90Mbps). If that doesn't fly, you can order OC-3 links.

I'm not very enthusiastic on the idea of running 100 Mbps through a VPN, because if there really is 100 Mbps of traffic, then the workload on the VPN gateways will be substantial, and since the offices are close to each other, you won't save much money by using VPN's anyway, and in fact you might spend even more money in buying strong VPN devices that can take the load. Probably better to get private lines.

Of course, I too question whether the client will really use all that bandwidth. But hey, the customer is always right.

Community Member

Thanks for your reply

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content