Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

connecting to FastEther vs. Ether

i am connecting a router to what appears to be a switch on the other side (i don't have access to the device at that remote end). on my router, i have 2 ports: Ether and FastEther. using a straight cable i can get a link when i connect it to my FastEther port. but if i connect the same cable to my Ether interface, i don't get a link light (and the sho int shows int is up, line protocol down). the interesting thing is that if i cross-over my end of the cable before plugging it into the Ether port, then it works fine. is there a command that i have to issue on the Ether port to kind of cross it at the software level? or what am i missing?

Martin

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: connecting to FastEther vs. Ether

Martin,

Some switches have an MD/MDX switch that will change the requirement from straight through to cross-over with the flip of this switch. Without knowing what type switch you are connecting to it's hard to say for sure. You are correct though... FastE and Ethernet should not require different cable types to connect.

Hope this helps you,

Don

Views
Helpful
Replies