cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connectivity on same VLAN

mnaglie11
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 3750G; I need to setup communication between two servers on the same VLan1. I can communicate to server on the outside port (1)(10.3.0.1) but these two server cant communicate. They are on the same Vlan, each server has unique IP (10.3.0.5 and 10.3.0.6) on the same subnet. Sorry new to all of this. This switch has a lot of options! Each server can ping the outside interface but shows only one ping each and then it drops communication, so I must be missing routing or setup for each to communcate.

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure on each server connection it has the "switchport" command on it . This will make it a switchport and put it into default vlan 1.

I reset the switch to factory(just to make sure) and then using the web interface set all ports to switchports using the smartport options. This worked for a few minutes and then both ports dropped communication to each other. They get a fist ping and then gone and will not communicate to each other but will communicate to the outside interface on port 1.

Not sure, if they are set as switchports then this means they can't even talk at the layer 2 level , there is no routing at this level nor does there need to be if they are on the same subnet. Sounds like they arping incorrectly or it could be a bug , i saw some flakey behavior when we were testing these in the lab . Does the mac addresses for both servers show up in the mac table ok ???

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: