Views
Helpful
Replies

Console connection to a uBR924

rchay
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm having problems with connecting to the console port on a uBR924. I have exhausted every option I know and come to the collective wisdom of the people that frequent this site. Before you roll your eyes, please read on... <g>

A little background on me:

I have over 7 yrs of Cisco experience (1600's, 2500's, 2600's, 4000's, 3600's, 7200's, 6500's) off and on and have completed the CCNA course at San Jose. I am very familiar (maybe too familiar) with this site and all the documents available here.

The problem:

I can't get access to the router through the console port. I boot the router with nothing attached (no cables except the power cord) and all the lights do what they should at power up as per the boot up docs on this site. When it's done booting up, the power LED is constant and the CATV link light blinks. I connect to the console port and there is nothing. I hit enter 3 times and no response.

I tried this with my laptop and my desktop. I've used my laptop to console into other routers before and it works fine.

I have a cisco roll overcable and a DB9 adapter for my laptop. I've tried using a different rollover cable and DB9 adapter(3 different ones) and even made my own rollover cable using a cat5 cable.

I tried using hyperterminal and SecureCRT v3.3.1 configured 8-n-1 no hardware flow control. I've played with the settings in both apps and still couldn't get a connection. I have the COM selected correctly.

There must be something I'm missing but I've never had this many problems connecting to the console port of a Cisco device, even my first time ever.

Any thoughts, advice, comments?

TIA,

-Bobby

11 Replies 11

makchitale
Level 6
Level 6

Does this happen when the cable modem is online or just when it's powered up w/o any connection to the cable provider?

In the later case it could be a faulty console port (since you have checked other things like cable/ hyperterm settings etc)

In the former case, Some cable service providers do not allow end users of uBR900 Cable Modems to do any custom configuration of the unit. In this case the Cable Service Provider is able to set a special parameter so that when a uBR900 comes online, the console port of the uBR900 is disabled and the configuration is changed. There is nothing that can be done on the uBR900 to stop this from happening.

Please refer to:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/109/ubr900_faq.shtml#console_locks

Thanks, Mak.

Mak,

I was hoping it wasn't a console port problem. Is there any way to check this?

I 've tried getting in both before it's provisioned by the ISP and after. I'm trying to get in to see what IOS is installed.

I know Comcast doesn't support the uBR924 but I've read on some forums that some people have set up their 924 to connect with Comcast using the 904 profile. Then I read that some CMTS ports are configured to block certain mac addresses too.

Another side question: Is there any differences in specs between the 924 and 904 other than the VoIP ports?

Thanks again,

-Bobby

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So looks like you've got all the ubr924s with console port lockup from factory as you have tested before and after its provisioned by isp. Its very very hard to belive but looks like its true in your case.

Now being a experienced person, youmay have played enough with those cable modems but sadly there is no way to recover once it gets in that mode.

So as you know what to do next...Replace it if those modems are under contract or warrenty. Talk to re-seller where you bought from.

Are you saying that there was a shipment of ubr924's with a console port lockup from the factory? This is the first I've heard of this.

Would trying the password recovery method bypass the lockup or is it a firmware function? Would I be able to access it through telnet from one of the ethernet ports?

I actually bought this off ebay for personal use. I knew it was too good to be true.

-Bobby

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I didn't know that you have bought all those cable modems from EBAY which is not a authorized re-seller. Initially i thought that you got all those from some authorized source.

Now password recovery will not fix that issue. But you can try it.

Also, now i am not saying that console port was locked up from factory at all. As you do know being familier with cisco equipment.

I only bought one. I figured for $60, it was worth trying out.

I guess I'll try a few other things and post what I find.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd be very interested in hearing them.

-Bobby

Hi

I work on as5350 access server and i want to distinguish between data and voice calls but i can't do it.

I've found some documents and tested them but they didn't have any results

I think you should post a seperate question for this issue as this issue is seperate.

Anyway here is the best url which will help you to "distinguish between data and voice calls on AS5xxx servers".

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/788/voip/modem_voice_gateway_9374.html

Now if you still having a problem, post a new question with the running config and detailed problem description.

rchay
Level 1
Level 1

UPDATE-

I got in touch with the seller and he let me return the defective ubr with another one. I got into the console with the new one but now it just hangs. Here's what it does:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

UBR924 platform with 16384 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80010000, size: 0x19fc3c

Self decompressing the image : #################################################

################################################################################

############################################################### [OK]

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is

subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph

(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted

Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph

(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer

Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.

170 West Tasman Drive

San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 920 Software (UBR920-Y5-M), Version 12.0

E SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info

Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 09-Jun-99 23:19 by ayeh

Image text-base: 0x80010094, data-base: 0x8033EF68

cisco uBR920 CM (MPC850) processor (revision 3.e) with 16384K/512K bytes of memo

ry.

Processor board ID FAA0421Q0BA

Bridging software.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

1 Cable Modem network interface(s)

3968K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

1536K bytes of processor board Boot flash (Read/Write)

Press RETURN to get started!

00:00:05: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface cable-modem0, changed state to up

00:00:05: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up

00:00:06: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface cable-modem0, changed

state to down

00:00:06: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed sta

te to up

00:00:21: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 920 Software (UBR920-Y5-M), Version 12.0(4)XI1, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEAS

E SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info

Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 09-Jun-99 23:19 by ayeh

00:00:25: %IP-5-WEBINST_KILL: Terminating DNS process

Now I can't get past the Terminating DNS Process. Anything I should do?

Thanks,

-Bobby

ndoshi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

"00:00:21: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted -- "

More likely you are getting into software issue this time .

Can we upgrade the IOS ? I looked at known bugs on 12.0(4)XI1 and it

seems this can be software issue .

Here is url for 900 cable modem documents

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/browse/psp_view.pl?p=Internetworking:Cable:Cable_Modems&viewall=true

here is the doc for upgrading IOS

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/109/ios_up_cm.shtml

You want to ignore running config and than see if you get router prompt ?

For disabling console access issue please go through this URL

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/109/ios_conf_download_notes.html

ISP can completely control your modem with TFTP Docsis config file .

If they are downloading their show running config file on your modem , you

will loose your config everytime and console will be disabled .

At this point I would recommend to change the config register to 0x2101

and boot through boot loader image and upgrade IOS .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/cable/ps2221/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007cd06.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a008009464c.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/cable/ps2221/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007e567.html

Nilesh

Nilesh,

Thanks for the response.

I think the problem now is that I can't send a break command to the router. I've tried using hyperterminal for XP and SecureCRT. I've even tried setting hyperterminal to 1200 8n1 and hold the space bar for 10-15 secs. That didn't cause a break command to the router.

I'm starting to think all these ubr924's have some sort of problem which is why there's so many for sale in 5 packs.

I'm going to push my luck and try to get this replaced again.

-Bobby

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: