Helpful
Replies

Console port not responding

p.pk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

i have a cisco 2924m-xl switch in which i cant open a console session

i checked with all possible baud rates and in my screen i didnt receive anything at all.

pls anybody if possible guide me to do this hardware troubleshooting

Thanks

prasanth

unity electro systems

India

5 Replies 5

ttuncaral
Level 1
Level 1

try to access by password recovery procedure

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_2900xl.html

if it doesn't work your switch may need to be serviced.

fkseow
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, does your switch totally NO RESPONSE when you connect to its Console port ? What I mean totally no response is your terminal windows does NOT show you anyhting.

If used Baud Rate "9600" and the rest all sticked to default, press "Enter" from your terminal ,you should be able to console the switch (terminal Windows showing you the switch IOS prompt).

If your totally can't see anything from your Terminal Windows, it 's most probably it caused by the Switch hardware. If this is the case, you need to send the switch for repair then.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

fkseow

Hi

Thanks for u r reply

it seems to be a hardware error

no output is there from the console

but it was working a few months back

can u furnish some reasons causing the hardware error for console port as ethernet cable inserted in the console port(will it cause error)

Thanks

prasanth

unity

Hi, your switch is pruned to have the risk from lightning strike as during lightning strike, it might cause some transient (power surge) in your power source. This may cause damages to your switch power supply unit, console port and even all those ethernet / fast ethernet interfaces.

Is your work place pruned to lightning strike ?

If yes, try to figure out using some lightning arrestors / polyphasers to prevent this.

Hope this clear

fkseow

cheers

ulricwd
Level 1
Level 1

Try a different laptop just make sure the problem is not with the one you are using. I have had this happen to me on a Cisco 2500 router. Tried two different laptops and sets of cables. Ended up RMA ing the router back to Cisco. Good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: