Views
Helpful
Replies

console port problems

anil.s
Level 1
Level 1

HI all,

i have 1600,1700 and 2500 all having console port problems.

i want to know ics or chips that may be faulty.

9 Replies 9

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

Anil

I find it hard to beleive that you have 3 bad console ports , How are you connecting, Hyperterm ? What are your settings ? default console settings are 9600 N 2

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

You sure it's not your laptop/PC/cable that is set up wrong, as it seems strange that 3 of your devices are faulty? Can you console into any device with your PC? Your COM port settings should be 9600, 8, N, 1, N.

Steve

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Do you ever get an "unable to open com port" message or Do you get blank screen all the time in Hyperterminal ?? CHeck your setting of HT connection, 9600 N 8 1

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

vanwijk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

First connect your router with a console-cable to your PC, start Hyperterm and then power-on your router. Otherwise you most probably will be prompted with ROMMON.

Best regards

Edwin van Wijk

yes, three routers console port r faulty and i am having 6 more routers working fine used setting 9600,8n1 none, i m sure console ports r faulty does anybody knows the uart used for console port for diffrent series of routers so that i can repair.

chandra.mouli
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Anil,

CONSOLE Port problems.You can connect to the Routers 1600,1700 and 2500 using Telnet connectivity.Just remove the Console Cables from the Routers.Launch telnet from the PC(If Windows, Click Start->Run and type Telnet) Type the IP Address of the Router(say 2500),should be the IP for Fastethernet port ; enter the console username and the password for the Router.If TELNET username and password for the Routers are already enabled, try connecting using the Telnet username and password.You can also use the AUXILARY port to connect to the routers(only for Remote connectivity).Good Luck.

there is no configration in the router so i need to rectify problem.

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

Anil

Have you tried 2 stop bits ?

If this fails try to access the box through the aux port.

yes i did.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: