cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

console

bkaren1278
Level 1
Level 1

I just recv'd my 2 4507s with dual sup4s... if i console in to the top most one i can watch it load then it displays a message stating that its waiting for switch activity. if i console into the lower card i get full access to the switch... whats going on here?

6 Replies 6

mainesy
Level 1
Level 1

With dual sups the redundant supervisor only boots to a certain point and then remains in a standby state until the primary sup fails or a manual swithover takes place. You will probably want to change your top sup to the primary. See the document below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00802c3052.html

Josh

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Probably the Supervisor in slot 2 is active and the one in slot 1 is in standby. What IOS are you running? We had this issue where slot 1 would go to standby in older IOS. Try with 12.2(25)EWA4.

im running 12.2(20)....

I'm alright with it sitting there waiting to be activated as long as i can use the gbics in it. how do i go about this

I'm pretty sure that you CAN'T use the gbics on the redundant supervisor while it is in standby mode. You would be able to use the two on the active supervisor, however if you ended up losing the sup or manually swithing over to the backup, the two GBIC ports on the active sup would become inactive.

how do i make both sups active?

You don't. You can only have one active supervisor engine at a time.