cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

controlling different VLANs from one port possible?

ohalnet53
Level 1
Level 1

I will appreciate any help about the below subject.

- there is a catalyst 2960 switch with 3 VLANs configured on it: VLAN 1, VLAN 2 and VLAN 3 (VLAN 1 is only for management purposes).

- the 2960 guy is attached to another catalyst with trunk port.

- have a dedicated PC for network monitoring and management purposes, plugged to one of the VLAN 1 port of the switch. (May be it is not right thing to do for this case)

- Naturally I have to monitor and manage the entire network (Not only VLAN 1, I also need to monitor traffic, collisions or other problems on VLAN 2-3 ports).

question is:

Is there a way to accomplish monitoring&managing entire network on the switch even different subnets on different VLANs? which means:

* monitoring failures on all ports/all links to PCs

* monitoring troubles in different VLANs.

* monitoring traffic on all ports.

Thank you very much in advance.

:)

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

It is certainly possible to do what you are after. As long as you have connectivity to the switch's management address, you should be able to set up SNMP on the switch and poll it through the management address. The fact that your ports belong to different VLANs is immaterial in this case.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Hi Paresh

you said:

'As long as you have connectivity to the switch's management address...'

this "switch's management address" is the interface VLAN 1 IP address in my case right?

That is correct - if you can get to that, then you are fine.

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: