Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

converting a 6506 from VTP client to server

I currently have a 6506 with;

6506 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-SUP1-2GE

L2 Switching Engine II WS-F6020A running Cat OS 5.4,

What would be required to have this switch be able to route Vlans?

Can I load MSFC code on the current Sup?

Are additional blades required or do I need to purchase MSFC code?

I am familiar with VTP servers and domains, but I am not quite sure how to turn this switch into a "router on a stick"

Thank You

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: converting a 6506 from VTP client to server

Hi,

It doesn't appear that you have an MSFC daughter card on your supervisor. Without that, you will be unable to configure your switch to route between VLANS.

The following document explains this in greater detail.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/75.html

Thanks for the reply but,

My Sup mod is a single blade(it dosent have daughter card\slot capacity)

I remember from working with Cat 5000's that certain sups had the 1/2 slot(daughter card) on the Sup,

but my 6500's do not have this.

I currently have a 6509 with a Supervisor WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE that is routing Vlans, this Sup as well

is a single blade with no slots for the daughter card.

That's why I was wondering if I just need to upgrade the flash(Cat IOS) on the 06 to gain Vlan routing functionality.

Thank You

Cisco Employee

Your sup1A has an MSFC card if it is routing VLANS.

A show mod from a lab switch:

Console> (enable) show mod

Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub Status

--- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- --- --------

1 1 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE yes ok

15 1 1 Multilayer Switch Feature WS-F6K-MSFC2 no ok

So if the sup mod you're trying to configure routing on has an MSFC, then you can configure the MSFC to route your VLANs.

Gotcha,

So the MSFC card is not a physical card but rather

code(software) running on the Sup?

Obviously the 6500 does not have a 15th slot.

Hi,

Answer to your question:

You can not just upgrade the SUP software to run MSFC code if you do not have an MSFC daughter card. To do this you need an MSFC/PFC daughter card installed on the SUP.

Your options:

If you want to route between VLAN's you have a few options.

Option 1:

Purchase MSFC/PFC upgrade for the SUP - Just to let you know, you can not do it for the SUP 1A-2GE (no longer available from VAR's). You need to purchase a SUP2-2GE, MSFC2/PFC2 or higher, depending on your budget. Then,setup the MSFC2/PFC2 or higher,to support inter-vlan routing, or, even better, convert your system from hybrid IOS (CATOS) to native IOS and reconfigure to your switch with VLAN interfaces. Allocate ports to each VLAN. Setup your routing protocol of choice and include each vlan interface to the routing protocol.

Option 2:

Configure a trunk on one of your Catalyst 6500 ethernet ports and make sure you trunk the vlan's you want to route between. Setup one of your Cisco's routers (with at least one fastethernet port and an IOS that supports VLAN routing with either ISL or dot1q trunk support)that is directly attached to the catalyst ,with sub-interfaces on the fastethernet port. Each sub-interface represents a VLAN. Each sub-interface must have an IP address allocated to it. Configure the switch with a new default route, pointing to the default vlan sub-interface, or management vlan-interface, on the router. (This is referred to as routing on a stick)

If you spend sometime on Cisco's web page, you will find a solution that you could modify to suit your needs.

Hope this helps you

Regards

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content