cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting from ISL to 802.1q

jhowell
Level 1
Level 1

I have a switched network with a 6509 and a bunch of 2924's and 3548's that has been using ISL for its trunking protocol. Now I've purchased some 2950's and have discovered that they don't support ISL and I have to convert to 802.1q. How painful is this going to be? Any gotchas that I need to be aware of?

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It should be pretty straightforward change. But make sure the native VLAN on both switches match for a dot1q trunk. Also the following page should be useful

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/#Trunking

Thanks. I didn't think it would be too difficult, but you never know. Is the lack of ISL support a trend? I've been looking for some sort of statement on the website that would indicate whether Cisco was going to continue to support ISL in future products but haven't yet found anything.

We will continue supporting ISL, but lot of customers prefer dot1q since it's a IEEE standard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: