cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copying IOS image

JUNKSA_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all, is there anybody who can give me a step by step procedure for copying IOS image to tftp server and then return the IOS image from tftp to flash memory. I will upgrade the routers 3660 flash memory from 16MB to 32 MB.If I connect my laptop as tftp server which is more better to connect via console cable (hyperterminal) or ethernet cable connecting to fastethernet in the router.

I downloaded few freeware tftp application software. What can you recommend? I have Solarwinds, Pumpkin and tftpd32i.

thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I use the 3COM Daemon, but I guess any other (Solarwinds is good as well) will work fine. If you are interested in the 3COM Daemon, you can download it from here:

http://support.3com.com/software/utilities_for_windows_32_bit.htm

It is recommendable to use the (Fast)Ethernet on your laptop to connect to the (Fast)Ethernet port on your 3660 for this procedure, just make sure that you use a crossover cable, and that the two devices can communicate via IP (that means they have to have an IP address in the same subnet).

The procedure using Solarwinds would be:

1. Download the IOS image from Cisco

2. In the TFTP Server Configuration screen in Solarwinds, choose the TFTP Root Directory and put the downloaded image there

3. On your 3660, from the exec command prompt, type the following:

3660#copy tftp flash

Address or name of remote host []? X.X.X.X

--> where X.X.X.X is the address of the host where you have Solarwinds installed

Source filename []? xxxxyyyy

-->where xxxxyyyy is the name of the IOS image that you have downloaded. Be sure to type the name exactly as it is.

Destination filename [xxxxyyyy]

--> hit ENTER

The router will then access the image on the TFTP server:

Accessing tftp://X.X.X.X/xxxxyyyy.bin.

and install it into flash. Be sure to reboot the router after the procedure has finished, in order to load the new IOS.

Check this document for troubleshooting this procedure:

Common Problems in Installing Images Using TFTP or an RCP Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800a775f.shtml

Regards,

Georg

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello,

I use the 3COM Daemon, but I guess any other (Solarwinds is good as well) will work fine. If you are interested in the 3COM Daemon, you can download it from here:

http://support.3com.com/software/utilities_for_windows_32_bit.htm

It is recommendable to use the (Fast)Ethernet on your laptop to connect to the (Fast)Ethernet port on your 3660 for this procedure, just make sure that you use a crossover cable, and that the two devices can communicate via IP (that means they have to have an IP address in the same subnet).

The procedure using Solarwinds would be:

1. Download the IOS image from Cisco

2. In the TFTP Server Configuration screen in Solarwinds, choose the TFTP Root Directory and put the downloaded image there

3. On your 3660, from the exec command prompt, type the following:

3660#copy tftp flash

Address or name of remote host []? X.X.X.X

--> where X.X.X.X is the address of the host where you have Solarwinds installed

Source filename []? xxxxyyyy

-->where xxxxyyyy is the name of the IOS image that you have downloaded. Be sure to type the name exactly as it is.

Destination filename [xxxxyyyy]

--> hit ENTER

The router will then access the image on the TFTP server:

Accessing tftp://X.X.X.X/xxxxyyyy.bin.

and install it into flash. Be sure to reboot the router after the procedure has finished, in order to load the new IOS.

Check this document for troubleshooting this procedure:

Common Problems in Installing Images Using TFTP or an RCP Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800a775f.shtml

Regards,

Georg

Thank you George, I will try this commands and the links are very useful.

Follow-up question regarding the existing flash memory installed in the router 3660, do I have to remove it directly from the mainboard and replace for the new one (flash memory)? or there is any procedure before I remove the flash memory.