cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Corrupt NVRAM

mbailie
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a sup enging II G with a WS-F5541 in a 5500. The NVRAM erases upon reboot, and I get the message: Warning: NVRAM area is corrupt...using default values. Anyone know what the problem is?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Both the Supervisor and the MSFC have separate NVRAM. So if you are seeing this issue on the RSFC, then you are correct. Only the RSFC needs to be replaced

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As it complains, the NVRAM is bad. Supervisor will have to be replaced

Thanks for your help. The WS-F5541 is reporting the corrupt NVRAM. I assume that means the WS-F5541 needs to be replaced. Hopefully the sup engine is still good.

Do you see the message on the Supervisor or the RSFC? I thought it was on the Supervisor

I am sorry for the confusion. The error is on the RSFC. Hopefully only the RSFC needs to be replaced. The Sup engine seems to be working fine. The configuration of the sup engine IIG is saved during all reboots. The configuration on the RSFC is erased upon reboot, and then the error NVRAM area is corrupt appears. I am familiar with config-register settings, and that doesn't seem to be the problem. Any advice you can give will be helpful. I need to isololate the problem to the sup engine or the RSFC.

Both the Supervisor and the MSFC have separate NVRAM. So if you are seeing this issue on the RSFC, then you are correct. Only the RSFC needs to be replaced

Thank you for your time and help. We are getting a new WS-F5541.

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As it complains, the NVRAM is bad. Supervisor will have to be replaced

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

you may be hitting this bug

CSCdx87646

Thank you for taking the time to respond. From what I can find out, buf CSCdx87646 was fixed in software release 7.5. The WS-F5541=

Route Switch Feature Card (RSFC) I am using has IOS c5rsfc-d--mz.120-3c.W5.8a.bin, which should have the fix for this bug in it. The sup engine IIG the RSFC is attached to is using IOS 5.1(1a) . I believe the NVRAM on the RSVC card is bad, I just can't find out if the NVRAM for the RSVC card is on the sup engine IIG or on the RSFC card.

You are not running into CSCdx87646. CSCdx87646 was a CAT OS bug and also fixed in 6.4(1). There is no 7.x for CAT5k

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: