Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

COS Software Upgrade - Memory Problem

I am trying to upgrade my Cisco Catalyst 5500 switch from version 4.2(1) to version 6.3(10).

The current 'dir bootflash: all' output is as follows:

switch> dir bootflash: all

-#- ED --type-- --crc--- -seek-- nlen -length- -----date/time------ name

1 .. ffffffff 30686281 35b964 22 3258596 Feb 11 2000 13:53:01 cat5000-sup3.4-2-1.bin

4343452 bytes available (3258724 bytes used)

switch>

When I run the 'copy tftp flash' command, the upgrade fails becuase there is not enough memory for the new version. The 'dir bootfash: all' shows the original 4.2(1) file and a partial 6.3(10) file marked D(deleted).

What do I have to do to complete this upgrade...???

I would appreciate URLs for upgrade procedures on the Catalyst 5500 switch.

Thanks in advance for your help.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: COS Software Upgrade - Memory Problem

Are you trying to load 'cat5000-sup3.6-3-10.bin'? If so, the file size is 5367763 and you have 4343452. It won't fit. Can you add flash? If not, try 'cat5000-sup3.5-5-17.bin'. It is 3214852. Also, you will have to delete the existing file to make room for the new one.

Cisco Employee

Purple

Like the previous posts said if you are putting it in bootflash then you will need to delete the current COS and squeeze the bootflash . Also make sure you have at least 64 meg of dram to run 6.X code other wise youwill have problems , if you only have 32 meg you will need to stay in the 5.X train . Also make sure to change your boot statements once you change the COS .

4 REPLIES

Save your current IOS to your TFTP server. After that, delete the current IOS from the Flash and then "Squeeze" it. Then you can copy your new IOS to Flash.

-Regards

Are you trying to load 'cat5000-sup3.6-3-10.bin'? If so, the file size is 5367763 and you have 4343452. It won't fit. Can you add flash? If not, try 'cat5000-sup3.5-5-17.bin'. It is 3214852. Also, you will have to delete the existing file to make room for the new one.

Cisco Employee

Purple

Like the previous posts said if you are putting it in bootflash then you will need to delete the current COS and squeeze the bootflash . Also make sure you have at least 64 meg of dram to run 6.X code other wise youwill have problems , if you only have 32 meg you will need to stay in the 5.X train . Also make sure to change your boot statements once you change the COS .

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content