cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Could I connect OC12(SMIR) with OC12(SMLR) in ATM switch?

ktho
Level 1
Level 1

Could I connect OC12(SMIR) with OC12(SMLR) in ATM switch?

4 Replies 4

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Probably not. The transceiver sensitivity and operating ranges are likely to be different. The receiver on the IR transceiver would be at risk.

Assuming that both are 1310 nm: you -may- be able to get by with the addition of an optical attentuator on the IR receiver side, if the freq/wavelength is the same. This would also assume that the LR receiver would be able to "hear" the signal from the IR transmitter.

Optical budget would be critical here.

What kind of distance, and what's the nature of the infrastructure?

Actually, I will add 10dB attentuator between them. Because I have two two switches with different type of OC12 SM card, I would like to know if I can connect them for testing.

Thanks.

If you add proper attenuation on both receiver to avoid overloading them (especially on the SMIR), that should work. Though, if the interfaces go down or start flapping, it means the signal levels might not be correct. Unplug then the fibers to avoid destroying one of the receivers.

As far as framing goes both are same. Don't just put 10db attenuator, rather find out the db level ( power budget ) for LR and IR and based on that put the attenuators. If you apply proper attenuators, I wouldn't expect to see any problem. However, if you don't it might even burn the IR interface itself. Pl refer to this URL.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/lsatsi/ls1010/prodlit/oc3pa_ds.htm