Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cross interface routing.

I have 2 new 3825 model routers with a T3/E3 network module card, in each, on a point to point link. The point to point link is up and running over the serial interface. Both routers are talking via pings/traceroutes from each router. Router A Serial = 192.168.55.1. Router B serial = 192.168.45.1. I have a network behind the GigabitEth interface of each router. Router A = 192.168.60.1 Router B = 192.168.70.1. Network A (behind router A GigEth int)192.168.60.x is a production network. Network B (behind router B GigEth Int) 192.168.70.x is also a prod network. I have successful pings and tracroutes to each network on the local router (Network B talks to Router B). How do i get the traffic routed across the SerInt to the GigEthInt? Is this possible? In other words i want Router A to be able to ping hosts on Network B or 192.168.70.x. The goal is to replace another production gateway with minimal downtime without changing IP addresses on the serial interfaces of new routers.

4 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Cross interface routing.

First you need to change the serial port addressing, they both need to be in the same subnet . Then just add static routes on each side pointing to the far end serial link address . Once this is done you should be able to ping.

You cant do that..the IP will overlap with the one on the GigEth interface. I am aware of this also and was just wondering if there is a way to send traffic from int to int.

No, you defintely need to have the two serial interfaces in the same subnet. What are you going to overlap if you change Router B Serial to 192.168.55.2 ?

Thanks....Baldy&Glen....i misunderstood previously. Sorry about that.....thought you were saying change the SerInt to subnet of GigInt. Thanks again. Do you guys know how to prevent the router from throttling the bandwith of the line? Or increase the up/down speeds? We are only getting like .4 mbps on this t3 line. Bare with me im new to this.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content