Helpful
Replies

CSM Load Balancer Help

anthony.baker
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

Just a quick question....

Does anyone know a) if it's possible and b) how to have two servers off the CSM but instead of load-balancing between them make them a failover pair i.e. if server A goes down server B will take over - done using the same VIP?? It's needed because the application on the servers can't do load-balancing yet but can work in a failover way.

I'm reading the book trying to work it out but if someone has done this before that would be great!

Thanks

Anthony

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Anthony

You don't say which version of software you are running but one way to do this is to place each server into a different serverfarm and then use one of the serverfarms as the active serverfarm and the second serverfarm as the backup serverfarm.

Attached is a link to a configuration example for this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/csm/4.2.x/configuration/guide/cfgxpls.html#wp1008909

HTH

Jon

Hey Jon,

Thanks for the response. I'm using CSM 4.6(6) and have given what you suggested a go but have run into problems.

When I disconnect the primary server I see that go out of service but that also knocks out the VIP and it never fails over to the second server. Am I missing something? I've attached the relevant parts of the config and would be greatful for any advice.

serverfarm FARM1

nat server

nat client WEB

real 10.2.250.10

inservice

probe HTTP

!

serverfarm FARM2

nat server

nat client WEB

real 10.2.250.11

inservice