Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Custom Cabling Question....

Trying to build a dce/dte between a WIC-DSU-T1 (rj45)interface and smart-serial interface and I can't find any custom cables for doing so. Curious if anyone has ever built such a beast and would mind sharing their success. TIA!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Green

Re: Custom Cabling Question....

Your "Custom Cable" would be a CSU/DSU.

One is serial, the other is T1 signaling ... they are not directly compatible through any cabling.

There has to be some active device to enc/decode from one to the other.

Good Luck

Scott

3 REPLIES
Green

Your "Custom Cable" would be a CSU/DSU.

One is serial, the other is T1 signaling ... they are not directly compatible through any cabling.

There has to be some active device to enc/decode from one to the other.

Good Luck

Scott

Thank you. If I'm only doing dce/dte in a lab, and will provide clocking from one of the two connections, then why do I require a CSU/DSU? Its synonymous with connecting two router (DB60) interfaces back to back and using one as the dce clocking. Is it because I have the integrated DSU in the the WIC card and require another DSU on the smart serial end to obtain the connection?

Green

That is correct.

If you had a db60 on each end, then you could use a back-to-back cable (one end DCE, the other DTE).

If you have a CSU/DSU on each end, you can connect them with a length of UTP (i.e.Cat5, 5e, 6) as a T1 crossover (pins 1&2 cross to pins 4&5 on the other side, both directions).

But, since you have a t1 signal coming from the WIC, and a synchronous serial signal coming from the db-60, they will never understand each other .... they are totally different.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content