Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started.

Customer prefixes in IGP

I have read on some various websites and mailing lists that I subscribe to that it is a bad idea to carry customer prefixes in your IGP. Exactly why would this be? How do the rest of the routers in the network know how to get to your customer's prefixes if they are not in the IGP?

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Customer prefixes in IGP

Depending on the nature of this article there might be several reasons. One, and the main one I would think, would be your IGP scalabitity. Say for example you carry all your customer prefixes and they mistakenly (or not) collect the entire internet routing table and redistribute that to you (say, from another IGP). You'd have close to 200K routes in your IGP.. .Melt down. Most Service providers would most likely have a separate IGP for just thier locally used prefixes as to not have the potential effect mentioned above. Also, if all your routers connecting the customer to the Internet were BGP speakers you'd really need no IGP to get your customer routes out . Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps,

Don

Yeah, it really is a bad idea to carry customer prefixes into IGP unless its needed very much. Imagine all the 100000+ routes in the internet on all the routers in your network. Mostly internal routers, doesnt need to know all the internet routes, unless the router is a POP router, running BGP. These routers can either run defaults to egress routers.

All this again depends on the topology of your network...If you dont plan to redistribute BGP routes into IGP, its better to have a full meshed IBGP between your routers, or a route reflector configuration ( if the number of IBGP sessions are large)

Yes, I know the implications of carrying a full routing table in the IGP, that's not what I am asking. When I think of "customer prefixes", I think of the networks that we have assigned to customers, or CIDR blocks that customers own. Customer prefixes are not the 120,000 internet routes. In any case, when you perform proper filtering, this will never happen anyway.

Maybe it's my own interpretation of the term "customer prefixes" that is confusing me?

Views
Helpful
Replies