Views
Helpful
Replies

cut through, fragment free config

omal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can someone please tell me how to configure cut through, fragment free and store & forward?

Can we configure this for each port seperately or do we have to do it to the whole switch?

How can we check the current switch type (cut through, fragment free or store and forward)?

What is the default mode?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As technologies improved the use of a cut throught switch was no longer needed. I mean that the chipsets and speeds are so much faster now then they were a few years ago that the benefit of having a store and forward switch is worth it. With a store and forward switch you can now manipulate and react to packets that would not be able to do with a cut through. By looking into the packet now you can make further decisions and drop or log the packet as malignant. With a cut through you can not make that decision. Another device (IDS, Firewall, etc..) will have to make that decision. One studies the cut through switch to understand the predecessor to what is now commonly used.....

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Which series switch u r using i believe we can switch between the switching methods on a 1900 series.right now the switches are by default to store and forward.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi

Well, I was actually refering to a 2950.

So if the switches today come with store and forward, then can't we change it to another mode even if we want to?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi

i believe we cannot change it.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi

Oh, really? Well what I'm confused then is that, why we study about it, if that's of no use to us. I mean if we can't change it, then there is no valid reason, for us study, that thing, right?

Thanks in advance!

As technologies improved the use of a cut throught switch was no longer needed. I mean that the chipsets and speeds are so much faster now then they were a few years ago that the benefit of having a store and forward switch is worth it. With a store and forward switch you can now manipulate and react to packets that would not be able to do with a cut through. By looking into the packet now you can make further decisions and drop or log the packet as malignant. With a cut through you can not make that decision. Another device (IDS, Firewall, etc..) will have to make that decision. One studies the cut through switch to understand the predecessor to what is now commonly used.....

Hi

Thank you so much for both of you for taking time to resolve my issue.

Best of luck with everything you do!!!

Omal