Views
Helpful
Replies

CW2K LMS Topo Svcs seeing Aironet devices as Unknown and Unreachable

bread
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We're running CW2K LMS 2.1 and in Topology Services (version 3.2 Patch 0) our Aironet 340 and 350 bridges/access points are being discovered, but are showing up as Unknown and Unreachable. I've checked the SNMP and CDP settings and they are correct. I checked the installed packages and yes, we have Aironet support (Inventory Device Support for Aironet 1.0 dated 8-27-2002 10:51:41ENABLED). The version of OS on the Aironet devices is predominantly 11.10T1.

An interesting side note: When I try to access one of these devices via Device Manager, I get this: "Unable to resolve Device ID from IP Address (172.20.82.13).Error no Device Name found, some apps in Device Center depend on it." Unknown to me if it's a related problem, but I'm still looking into it.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Brian Read

6 Replies 6

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Are these APs showing up in the Topology map with the correct icon or they're showing up with Generic icon?. If they're being displayed with the correct icon, then you may want to first go through http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/Campus/ani.shtml to narrow down the issue.

They are showing up with the generic rectangle icon.

I looked at the help page you mentioned, and was going to run snmpget to test if the AP's were responding, but couldn't find snmpget anywhere on the server. Is this a 3rd party app?

Thanks

BR

If you have DFM or RTM also installed on the same server with CW2K, then you can use any of the following snmpwalk scripts:

1) DFM-> sm_snmpwalk script which is located under the $NMSROOT/CSCOpx/objects/smarts/bin directory. Use sm_snmpwalk --help to get the syntax and usage details.

2) RTM-> dvwalk script which is located under $NMSROOT/rtm/tools directory.

Usage: dvwalk ipaddr community variable_oid

3) Use the UCD-SNMP free ware scripts from: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12694

4) Or best, use the free ware snmpwalk tool for CW2K called JT from: http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=4822&group_id=25401

This once installed added directly a new menu under the CW2K Connectivity Tool where you can directly do a snmpwalk to any device from within the Cw2K web GUI. Pretty neat.

OK, I tried to do an SNMPWalk with the JT tool on a couple of AP's and got nowhere. The reply (after an wait of 3-4 min for it to apparently timeout) was "Failed to snmpwalk the device. Please check your community string and starting OID, and try again". I confirmed that the JT tool was working on a different device (it got the system name from a Catalyst 2924 switch right quick). So it appears that the AP's are not responding despite having the correct SNMP read community string. Suggestions?

If that is the case then you can try using the 'JET: Packet Capture Tool for CiscoWorks 2000 CD One' from: http://sourceforge.net/docman/?group_id=25401 which add a new menu to CW2K just like JT and is a very neat tool to capture packets in sniffer format to see what's going on here.

OK, I installed the JET packet capture tool and did another SNMPWalk of an Aironet device. I see the SNMP GET go out; 1st packet out the door, no problem. The 2nd packet is an SNMP TRAP inbound from the Aironet device. This is interesting that TRAPS are sent, but no reply to the GET. Some NetBIOS stuff (NBSTAT Name queries) occur, then another GET request at packet #14. Again, no reply. This pattern repeats every 10 secs until it times out after 1 minute and I get the "Failed to snmpwalk the device" message. So it appears that the Aironet device is just not replying to the queries.

I tried this again with a different AP just in case it was something specific to that AP, but got the same results. It's like the AP's don't have SNMP reply capability, but can send TRAPs....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: