Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CW2K without DNS, needs Host file

Running on Solaris, I want to create a host file, that CW2K will reference for host or device names "IF" it cannot resolve to DNS. DNS will resolve some but a few are not in DNS and I want to add them to a host file rather than edit the DNS server.

Which host file on Solaris should I add these two and what should the syntax

3 Replies 3

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

/etc/hosts file is the local host file in Solaris.

Format Example:

1.1.1.1 fastethernet-3-1.your.org

2.2.2.2 hostname.your.org hostname1.your.org (if you want two ip's to resolve to one name.

Also, there is a /etc/nsswitch.conf file that has a "hosts" line. Ensure there is a "files" word entered there. This makes Solaris look in it's local host file for these names.

Format:

hosts: files dns

Hope this helps you,

Don

I looked at these files and they appear to be correct. I added some IPs and switch names to /etc/hosts but I have not seen the switch names show up in User Tracker, or any other of the places that list the Device IP and switch name together.

Will this info not be imported until a full discovery or is there some other process I need to restart to make it happen?

I also have some workstations that the hostnames are not being imported into UT. They resolve to DNS via the CLI on the server, and most other workstations are resolving and showing up in UT.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco