Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Daisy chain 2900 series switches

I have a 3500/48xl with 2 gig fiber connections connected to a 3500/xl that has all fiber gig ports. Then I have a 2900/24 series connected to the 3500/48xl by using a cross over cable. I purchased another Catalyst 2950/24 and my question is can I daisy chain the 2950 to the 2900/24 using a crossover cable? I just want to make sure this will work before I hook it up.

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: Daisy chain 2900 series switches

Short answer is yes, just make sure that you have STP enabled on the switches to avoid loops.

The below lists things that crop up if your once your network grows more complicated.

If you carry multiple vlans on these switches make sure to configure a trunking protocol on the appropriate ports(isl or 802.1q). If this is the case, enable VTP pruning. Multiple vlans would also involve some routing savey..

Try to make sure the uplink ports successfully negotiate to full duplex.

Port security on the uplink ports will also be different(or flat disabled, can't remember) from the regular access ports.

There are 2 draw backs to this setup.

1 Daisy chaining doesn't allow for multiple links. If 3500 goes down all switches on down the line are SOL.

2 If you have some heavy traffic servers or workstations on the 2900 switch then the aggregate bandwidth could easily saturate the uplink port. Consider Fast Etherchannel if possible.

Re: Daisy chain 2900 series switches

ISL is not supported on the 2950

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content