Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Daisy chaining Switches

I have 7 C2950T-24 10/100/1000 in my network, what

is the best way to link them, Daisey chain or,run all

switches into one master switch using crossover cables, that is currently what I am doing, all our

server are also in the same top switch.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
6 REPLIES

Re: Daisy chaining Switches

The best way would to use the master (distribution) switch idea. If you daisy chain them and for example a switch near the center fails, all switches behind that lose connectivity to the switches ahead of the bad one. I would also work in some redundancy.

The best way would to use the master (distribution) switch idea. If you daisy chain them and for example a switch near the center fails, all switches behind that lose connectivity to the switches ahead of the bad one. I would also work in some redundancy.

Hi,

If you connect all the remote switches to one master switch, then each remote switch has 1Gb/s uplink to the master switch, however this scenario means that your master switch becomes the focalpoint of your network and effectively becomes a single point of failure for your whole infrastructure - if the master fails, your whole network is broken.

You could use the daisychain method, but include a link from the last switch back to the first (in a big ring if you like), spanning-tree will automatically put one of the inter-switch link ports into a blocking state to prevent a loop, In this scenario - if any switch (or link) fails, the ring topology means that connectivity is still achieved to the remainder of the switches. - however, this topology means the whole stack of switches will share a 1Gb/s backone (2Gb/s can be achieved by using 2 links between switch configured as an Etherchannel bundle.

A Third option you have is to create 2 master switches with a link between them, and have a link from each remote switches to each of the master switches - this option uses the most number of switch ports to create the network backbone, but will offer 1gb/s uplink to the master switches - and provide master switch redundancy.

Hope this helps,

Rowan

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.