Views
Helpful
Replies

datacollector response timeout in ITEM

pcobley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to configure ITEM to monitor our CallManager setup, and after adding the server & setting up SNMP as per the intsructions, I get a 'datacollector reponse timeout' error in the Edit Device Configuration page.

I can find no information on CCO with regards to this error, so can anyne point me in the right direction ?

TIA,

Paul.

10 Replies 10

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

What version of VHM and CallManager?

Hi,

We're running cm 3.3(3)sr3, and ITEM is the 90 day eval version 2.0 (?).

TIA,

Paul.

Hi,

I have the same problem with an official version of ITM 2.0.

On one hundred 3550 devices, I have 7 of them which remains in the questioned SNMP timeout state.

Snmpwalk is working well with those devices.

When devices are blocked, they passed first by a 50% completed state before falling in error with the following error message: response from VIC is not compliant.

Patrice

I've found that rebooting the server when the device(s) are in questioned state usually fixes the problem. After the server has booted up goto Edit Device Configuration and do a Change Crendials or Rediscovery in Ciscoworks. I'm sure there is a service that needs to be restarted but i'm still not sure exactly which one that is.

I've had to do this on numerous occasions and the problem still continues, but this has worked for me as a work around.

I'm trying to solve the problem right now and will let you know if I come across anthing. Never had this problem with any other version of ITEM.

Frustarating,

Dean

Thanks for that Dean,

I rebooted the CallManager & the ITEM server with no joy I'm afraid.

I'd appreciate an update when you have one.

Paul.

In your event viewer (I assume you are using Windows 2000), do see any brstart error under applications. I've been receiving this error and crmlog errors.

Not sure if the errors are a part of the problem but I know brstart is used with the dfm broker.

Sorry that the previous post didn't help you. It has worked for me on a number of occasions.

Dean

I received infos from TAC. Devices go in questioned state if hostname and DNS name of the device are not the same. In ITM, the hostname is case sensitive.

So, hostname and DNS name should be identical and for myself, hostname was in capital letters and DNS name in lower case letters. So, I changed hostname in lower case letters and now it works.

Patrice

I've been entering in my switches using IP addresses not by hostname. Does that make a difference because it worked previously with ITM 1.4?

I have not changed a single thing in terms of procedure. DNS does resolve correctly in both directions.

ITM polls the sysName of the device through SNMP and will try to resolve that through DNS. If it finds an IP address in DNS it will resolve that back to the hostname. The limitation we are running into here is that ITM is case sensitive. So the discovery will fail if the sysName and DNS name do not match.

Here's some more info on the name resolution in ITM:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/cscowork/ps5431/products_user_guide_chapter09186a00801c1d8d.html#1083608

Hope that helps you.

Patrice

Thanks, I will look into it.

Dean

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco