Helpful
Replies

DDR configurations

mulhollandm
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

i've recently taken over as network manager and i have a general query on DDR

We have a number of isdn lines with ddr configs, pretty standard stuff mostly - my query is that my mail team (lotus notes) seem to be under the impression that the isdn line comes up every 30 mins but i'm sure that the line somes up only when any interesting traffic is routed to the dial interface

the config is pretty much a standard DDR config with no big differences from that in any cisco book.

i think that mail is throttled back with a limit on the actual server, i.e. route mail if no of mails > 10.

is there any way to force a line to come up every 30 mins rather than using DDR or is there an option in DDR for this?

thanks for the help

2 Replies 2

hbaerten
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

if your dialer list is not configured or not properly configured, it's possible that your line comes up every 30 seconds, caused by e.g. a routing protocol that sends updates. Check the dialer list or post your config (strip passwords etc.) here so we can have a look?

You could also run 'debug dialer events' to check when the router is dialing and what is the cause (don't forget to turn on "terminal monitor" if you're telnetting into the router, in order to see the debug messages). You'll get output similar to the following:

Jul 28 09:53:03.016: Se0/0:15 DDR: rotor dialout [priority]

Jul 28 09:53:03.016: Se0/0:15 DDR: Dialing cause ip (s=192.168.251.10, d=10.120.4.1)

Jul 28 09:53:03.016: Se0/0:15 DDR: Attempting to dial 5551234

You see that the second line mentions the source and destination of the packet that causes the dial attempt.

hth

Herbert

PS: for DDR and related questions, you may have more success in the "Remote Access" forum.

I think snapshot routing could be setup to make the routing protocols go quiet for 30 minutes then go active to exchange data then quiet again for 30 minutes, etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco