Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Debug Logging

I want to send debugging output to the syslog server. I already have the commands

Logging history warnings

Logging facility local4

Is the command I need to add-- logging history debugging

Also I couldn't find any reason to use the history command. What effect does it have.

Thanks for the help.

Jthreadgill

3 REPLIES

Re: Debug Logging

Hi,

try this:

logging xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

logging facility local4

logging trap debuging

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is Your syslog server ip address. It should solve Your problem

Regards

Giedrius

To send messages to syslog server:

For pix:

logging host inside 10.1.1.1

logging trap debug

for router:

logging 10.1.1.1

logging trap debug

Logging history debug is to limit syslog messages sent to the router's history table based on severity (in this case debug). History size command sets the size of the buffer on the local router/pix to hold the logged events. Both not necessary, optional.

Hope it helps.

Steve

It is on a 7206 router. I tried the logging trap debug, and the command took but I never saw any output to the syslog. (I was running a tail on the local4log) I tried to use debug dhcp, and a few others. Then the router stopped responding. It's not really loaded(runs at about 25%). Is it possible the buffers filled. I was telneted in if that helps. I have to be carefull because this cannot disrupt service.

Heres the config.

logging history warnings

logging trap debugging

logging facility local4

logging XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Thanks again. The reason I need this is to watch our DSL customers try to lease IP'S and to see what VP/VC is in the ATM Packet.

Thanks,

Jthreadgill

Views
Helpful
Replies