Views
Helpful
Replies

DECNet Over IP Back Bone Using GRE Tunnel

burbidgem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am trying to set up a GRE tunnel between two cisco 3550 swicthes, on the same campus, in order to get DECnet to traverse an IP only backbone. I have set up the tunnel between the two 3550s and the tunnel is up up, the bit I am missing is how do I actually get traffic to flow down it? am I wrong to assume that any non IP traffic that hits the tunnel source port will automatically been encapsulated and sent down the tunnel?

Regards

Marcus

2 Replies 2

Marcus,

You can bridge non routable protocols like DECnet. My understanding is bridging isn't officially supported on GRE tunnels. What I mean by this is, that the router may accept the bridge commands on the tunnel int and may or mayn't forward bridged traffic across the tunnel but Cisco is obligated to provide a fix if it doesn't work.

HTH,

Sundar

Oops, a small correction to the above posting, DECnet can be routed as well. It can be bridged or routed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: