Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

default-information originate (OSPF)

Hi,

could anybody explain the sense of route-map option in the command

default-information originate [always] [metric metric-value] [metric-type type-value] [route-map map-name] ?

I don't understand the explanation from CCO Command Reference

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123cgcr/iprrp_r/ip2_c1g.htm#1038457

Regards,

Milan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: default-information originate (OSPF)

From what I can remember the Route-Map option gives you the extra ability to control the advertisement of the default route by a) requiring that a default route already exists in the routing table and b) the route that matches the Route-Map must also exist in the routing table. Only if both of these two are true will the default be advertised.

When used with the Always keyword this means that a default will only be advertised if the route that matches the Route-Map exist in the routing table, but that a default is not required in the routing table.

I hope that makes sense !

4 REPLIES
Silver

From what I can remember the Route-Map option gives you the extra ability to control the advertisement of the default route by a) requiring that a default route already exists in the routing table and b) the route that matches the Route-Map must also exist in the routing table. Only if both of these two are true will the default be advertised.

When used with the Always keyword this means that a default will only be advertised if the route that matches the Route-Map exist in the routing table, but that a default is not required in the routing table.

I hope that makes sense !

Bronze

As I've seen it in some of my labs the requirement usually reads "rtra should send a default route to rtrb but only as long as it has a route to x.x.x.x". You'd create a route-map permit and match ip addr to x.x.x.x. If the route disappears no default route is sent.

Thanks, it really makes sense.

As I suspect it gives you the flexibility as to when to route the default route to other ospf peers. An example will be perhaps the current router acts as a backup router with a backup link to the internet. You wouldn't want to publish the default route from this router unless you were sure that the other router is not up etc.

Regards.

Views
Helpful
Replies