Views
Helpful
Replies

Default route and next hop

NAVIN PARWAL
Level 2
Level 2

Folks,

We have EIGRP running in our network. One of our remote offices uses internet connection from the head quarters. We have a PIX firewall and to the best my understanding it does not support Eigrp.

So we are pointing our MSFCs at the core swicthes(HSRP), to the pix firewall. EIGRP does not support default information originate as well, so i find myself in a taugh position.

All the other sites have local internet connectivity so it is not a problem for them as they have local static routes.

My question is that for the site which does not have local internet connectivity, can i point the default route on that router to the pix at the head quarters? it is a requirement that the next hop must be the next hop in a default route or it should only be reachable??

any other ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated, we would like to use as less default or static routers as possible.

2 Replies 2

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

You can either use eigrp to redistribute the default route or use a separate static route.

This static should simply point to the next hop, just the same as other routes to the network at your central site.

Regards,

Leo

Hello,

Leo is correct. Depending on the size of your EIGRP network - pointing a static route on both the MSFC's providing connectivity to the PIX and redistributing them should work.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

router eigrp xyz

redistribute static

The PIX only supports OSPF and there isn't a default originate in EIGRP as there is with OSPF.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: