Views
Helpful
Replies

Default route between VLANs

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hello everybody out there,

I have a 3550&2950 environment with several VLANs and using the 3550, v12.1{6}EA1, for doing routing between some of them.

In one VLAN [let's supose VLAN1] we have another router for going to the Internet. This router announce the default route for going to the internet using ospf.

From another VLAN [let's supose VLAN2] we can ping all the VLAN1, including the router to the internet, but we cannot go to the internet.

The traceroute ends in the 3550.

The 3550 knows the default route by ospf.

The router to the internet knows the VLAN2 by ospf.

If we put a static default route in the 3550, we cannot go to the internet.

If we put a static route in the 3550 for a certain web page o network, we can acces to this one.

Any one could help us?

Best regards,

Manel

18 Replies 18

If some Pc's in the vlan can get to the internet and others cant that sounds like an incorrect gefault GW on the client machines. Also did you check DNS? If you put the ip address for a website in a browser does it work?

Not applicable

We use DHCP in the VLAN2. All the client machines take the same gateway using this protocol.

The DNS resolutions works fine: If we ping the URL site in the client machines, the translation to the IP is OK but we obtain timeouts.

Thanks,

Manel

m-stinnette
Level 1
Level 1

Manel

Now that someone brought up the NAT table my question to you is Out of the routable vlans say vlan1, vlan2, vlan3 which vlans can get to the internet and which ones can't. For instance use cisco.com as your website for all vlans

Hi,

We do not forbid the access to the internet by VLAN.

We use a by-user access policy.

I've checked that users with problems in VLAN2 can worh properly in VLAN1 and sometimes in other PCs in the same VLAN2.

Regards,

Manel