cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default state on ethernet card in Cisco 3640

maryodriscoll
Level 1
Level 1

Could someone confirm that the default state of an ethernet card is half-duplex and that is it not possible to configure these cards as auto-sensing .

Thanks

2 Replies 2

arvindchari
Level 3
Level 3

I assume you are talking about a NIC connected to a 36xx switch, that being the case:

It depends to a large extent on the way the drivers are programmed for the card. Most manufacturers use the following combinations in the order specified before the card falls back to half duplex 10mbps

1. 100mbit + full duplex

2. 100mbit + half duplex

3. 10mbit + full duplex

4. 10mbit + half duplex

The optimal settings are usually specified in the manual for your NIC if not you can consult the online documentation perhaps?

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Hello Mary,

First of all I assume that you are talking about the old "ethernet 10BT" modules and not about the more recent 10/100Mb versions. The latter do support auto negotiation and for the ethernet modules I remember a forum-thread for a few years ago. Bottom of the line was that the ability to support full duplex was not only depending on the hardware but also on the IOS version. Please also check the URL below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00800ad3cc.shtml#hw

Regards,

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: