Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Deferred counter on a switch port increasing.

Hi - I have several interfaces on a Cisco 2950T-24 switch showing an increasing "deferred" counter even though those ports are set to full-duplex. There are no other errors on the interfaces and traffic is light.

Can anyone tell me why the counter might be increasing and what symptoms I should expect. (I appear to be suffering packet loss but not 100% sure if I am on the right track). Thanks....

2 REPLIES

Re: Deferred counter on a switch port increasing.

Hi,

"The deferred counter counts the number of times the interface has tried to send a frame, but found the carrier busy at the first attempt (Carrier Sense). This does not constitute a problem, and is part of normal Ethernet operation." So if you don't see any other errors, then you might not having a problem. Are you sure you have a packet loss?

Re: Deferred counter on a switch port increasing.

Thanks for the response - I actually did know what the definition of deferred was - I don't expect to see deferred counts increasing on a Fastethernet port set to full-duplex however.

Should I consider this normal on full-duplex FE ??

BTW - we were seeing packet loss across a C2950T-24 running 12.1(13)EA1 we have upgraded to 12.1(14) and the problem appears to have disappeared. Can't see any notices about this on the Cisco web site though....

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content