Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Delete built-in VLAN1 and/or upgrade to Adv IP IOS on Cisco 878

Hi all. I'm a Cisco newbie and need some help with 878 router. Managed to set the config to work with the SDSL line, using the built-in VLAN1 (all four ports in it). But I need only one eth port going to a switch on the private LAN. I also need another eth port for additional public IP for one server. I can't add another VLAN, doesn't let me.

On another forum someone mentioned that you can only add VLAN on Adv IP IOS, not on Security IOS. Is that my problem? Alternatively, will deleting the VLAN1 and entering same settings on Fa0 work ok? Whta's best for me to do?

Any way to get this Adv IP IOS? I was expecting the router to have built-in VLAN feature, not needing anything else.

Thanks a lot in advance. I really need to get this going and I'm stuck googling for days. :( Cheers. Darko.

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You will need the plus feature set(Advanced IP services/Advanced Enterprise Services), which will give you a maximum of 4 VLANs.

You will need to purchase the upgrade from Cisco, I;m afraid...

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thanks for the reply.

What about the "free" option, deleting the VLAN1 and configure Fa0 with the same settings as VLAN1 is now, then configuring Fa1 for example with the additional public IP as gateway for the server with public IP? Will this 878 work properly at all if I delete VLAN1 because it was built-in?

I don't believe that you can use the switchports on the 878 as routed ports so what you are suggesting is not likely to work.

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: