Views
Helpful
Replies

Delivering VLANs to a Remote Site

dwalsh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Does anyone know if there's a way you can deliver VLANs from a central site to a remote site. The service provider does not support any sort of "transparent LAN service" and won't recognize our VLANs across their enterprise.

I'm wondering if it'd be possible to somehow "tunnel" it using dot1q tunneling or some such thing.

I know there are limitations in that tunneling is only supported over a 100Mbps link (and we have only a 10Mbps), but I'm just wondering if it's possible. What I want to do is be able to deliver an outside (i.e. Internet) VLAN to a remote location if possible.

We'd prefer to do this with the equipment we have, but could look at purchasing if necessary. We currently have a CAT 6509 at the core in the main site and 2950s in the remote site.

Any thoughts on how this could be accomplished.

TIA,

Dave

4 Replies 4

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

is your 6509 capable of running layer 3 ?

if so, you can route the vlan.

what exactly does the carrier provide ?

Hi.

Yes, it can route (i.e. has an MSFC). However, I don't want to take it to a L3 level. I want to deliver the same VLAN that exists in the main site to the remote site.

TIA,

Dave

take a look at transparent bridging.

L2TP may be able to help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: