Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

DFM alarm message: Ecessivefragmentation

We are just starting to use Device Fault Manager to monitor our network. A lot of our catalyst switch have this alarm message: MEM-"ip address"/9[CLUSTER]-EcessiveFragmentation.

We checked those switches, no obvious problem found. Anyone has suggestion?

Thanks,

Yatao

5 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: DFM alarm message: Ecessivefragmentation

We have same issue on ours too.. We have newly installed 6500's

Community Member

Drill down to the polling and threshold editor in DFM (in the admin console) and take a look at what your settings are.

I bet that you have never changed them and are using the defaults ( which in this case – at least in my system - are like 0.02% of the threshold which is set at 5.0%.

So if .02% (.002) of the 5% allowed to be “fragged” it will generate an alarm message.

I am in the process of reviewing ALL the setting to clear this up ( and other errors that squeal when there is no real problem.)

Basically it looks like there are two ways to keep “un-needed” alarms from annoying you (and scaring the non-engineer) and they are:

1 - Set filters in the monitoring console you share or export or display.

2 – Change the thresholds to what YOU want to be concerned about.

Dat’s all folk. - andy

Community Member

bealla,

changing the treshold so you don't get the alarm anymore doesn't solve the problem. I have the same fragmentation problem with my 6509s. I know that I could change the threshold but that doesn't explain where the fragmentation came from.

Community Member

I had the same problem - check the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/dfm/dfm1_1/u_g/defaults.htm#xtocid150015

Since Cisco say that memory and processor polling of Cisco switches is not supported in DFM, I just disabled the option.

Community Member

Try to install cw-dfm-ids111 patch and loot at cw-dfm-ids111 readme file.

Andrea.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content