At client workstation, in CiscoWorks 2000, in DFM module, accessing the Monitoring Console yields: "Console Load Error. Could not load console alarm_log.iccon com.smarts.viewer.console.SmSchemaLoadException: <cw2k server>".
It works fine on the server, both are running same Java plugin 1.4.1_02. What's next? Thanks!
I am having a similar but different problem -
I just installed DFM on my server, and when I open the monitoring console and attempt to attach to a domain, there is nothing in the domain drop down box. If I put DFM in there, I get
Cannot attach to domain DFM
Domain DFM not registered with Broker!
Any ideas ? This is a brand new install, and I was never prompted to connect the broker to my RME, or give it a domain name.
BTW I am running RME on the same box.
Thanks for any assistance!
open the administration console and select "Domain" "attach" and type in the box (without the quots) "your-CW2k-Server-IP:9002", then apply;
after that it should work.
also search for the broker.info file and check the entry "localhost:9002" or "CW2k-Server-NAME:9002". Change this to "CW2k-Server-IP:9002". Restart CW2k-Daemon.
Thanks much for the quick reply - I've already tried changing the host name to IP address in both the Monitor console and the broker.info file, though when I attempt to "attach to domain" ... there's no domain available to select ...
Frustrating! Just reinstalled DFM (again) and will see what happens...
It appears I am having the same problem. Last week I applied all current updates and IDUs and my DFM hasn't worked since. I've changed the hostname to IP Address in broker.info and in the sm_adapter in the registry and I still can't attach to my DFM domain.
How did the reinstall go?
I reinstalled, and still do not have access to the DFM domain - I've got a case open with the TAC right now, and I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out!!!
Here's the reply from the TAC: Might try this. Also, when I installed DFM, the install docs didn't say anything about setting up the user as "Admin" and I created under my own account - It appears from the TAC that DFM creates some files that want to see Admin as the user, so I'll try reinstalling and creating an Admin username this time...
Thank you for the screenshots you sent, it surely helped me visualize our concern.
(1) I assumed you have tried the workaround on my previous email. This involves
deleting the broker.rps file (..CSCOpx/objects/smarts/conf directory).
(2) Check clientConnect.conf found in the directory (../CSCOpx/objects/smarts/conf)
It should look like this...
Check also serverConnect.conf, found also on the same directory
It should look like this...
Please please change if there is discrepancy by doing this,
c:\cd program files\CSCOpx\bin
c:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>perl C:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\cgi-bin\dfm\DFMConnect.pl -c -r admin admin
c:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>perl C:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\cgi-bin\dfm\DFMConnect.pl -s -r admin admin
Login from the remote client to the CW2000 server as admin and test it again.
(3) Please also check broker.info under ..CSCOpx/conf/dfm directory.
It should be somehow like this,
cw2000-win2k is the hostname of the server.
Make sure that this hostname is resolvable.
Do a nslookup,
From Server to client:
From Client to Server:
Make sure that the right IP address/hostname is in the broker.info
On the remote client,
goto Domain > Attach > enter broker as
After I reinstalled, didn't work - Then I installed the IDU listed below and voila! It's working like a champ...
This could be related to the BugID CSCdx55823 - DFM domain dies
when restarted after January 2004.
Please download and install the latest IDU from this link,
Please let me know if installing the IDU fixed this.
Re-applying the latest IDU didn't fix my problem. This IDU is also NOT list under Installed Patches in SERVER CONFIGURATION -> ABOUT THE SERVER -> APPLICATIONS AND VERSIONS. The readme file for this IDU says it should be listed there.
I am going to open a case with TAC.
It seems that I am right, look at the following info and see if it helps:
Yes! The problem was in attaching the DFM domain. (We don't use DNS, so it wasn't finding the CiscoWorks server by name. Once I changed to IP address, it attached without problem.)
Thanks for your help!