Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM Notification Modifications

chris.waterbury
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I'm trying to limit what DFM sends via the mail adapter. I've modified the mail_notify.conf file as follows trying to remove some unwanted traps:

GA_ChoiceSubscription::Device_Down

{

className = ".*"

instanceName = "IP-167.*"

eventName = "Unresponsive"

problems = FALSE

aggregates = FALSE

symptoms = FALSE

},

{

className = ".*"

instanceName = "IP-207.*"

problems = FALSE

aggregates = FALSE

symptoms = FALSE

},

{

className = ".*"

instanceName = ".*"

problems = TRUE

aggregates = FALSE

symptoms = TRUE

},

Will this work. If not, how can I modify so as to remove unwanted IP's.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

One thing that I would suggest is to modify the name of the GA_ChoiceSubscription.

Notice that you have specified Device_Down three times.

Thanks for the response.

I tried that as well. It didn't help.

Try one profile with the following in the instance name:

className = ".*"

instanceName = "~IP-167.*|~IP-207.*"

problems = TRUE

aggregates = FALSE

symptoms = TRUE

3mstoller
Level 1
Level 1

This is where you can find out how to set up profiles, which is where you can remove unwanted IPs, hosts, whatever:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/cscowork/ps2421/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008017986c.html#1071757

Also, as I just posted to a similar thread here, the mail notifier itself has a doco issue, as follows:

Documentation Error:

If you do not explicitly configure the DFM Notifiers to start automatically, they have to be started manually. This means on a restart of the CW2K device or the CW2K processes, the notifiers will not be running!

To take care of this, the documentation recommends the following command to unregister and re-register the notifier, so it starts automatically:

If necessary, register the adapter for automatic startup by running these commands to unregister and re-register the adapters. NMSROOT is the directory where CiscoWorks is installed (for Solaris, the default value for NMSROOT is /opt/CSCOpx, and for Windows, the default value is C:\Program Files\CSCOpx).

On Windows, the commands are:

For DfmMailNotifier (the second command is one line):

# NMSROOT\bin\pdcmd.exe -u DfmMailNotifier

# NMSROOT\bin\pdcmd.exe -r DfmMailNotifier -d DfmServer -e NMSROOT\objects\smarts\bin\sm_notify.exe -f "--adapter=mail --output=sm_mail_notifier"

-> The first command works, to unregister the Mail Notifier; however, the second fails if you use Program Files in the path, most likely due to the infamous "whitespace" issue:

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>pdcmd.exe -r DfmMailNotifier -d DfmServer -e D:\Prog

ram Files\CSCOpx\objects\smarts\bin\sm_notify.exe -f "--adapter=mail --output=sm_mail_notifier"

ERROR: cmd failed. Server reason: The path or filename given to the daemon manager in an application registration is invalid.

-> Using "Progra~1" mitigates the issue:

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>pdcmd.exe -r DfmMailNotifier -d DfmServer -e D:\Prog

ra~1\CSCOpx\objects\smarts\bin\sm_notify.exe -f "--adapter=mail --output=sm_mail_notifier"

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>

When the prompt comes back with no feedback, you are good-2-go!

Stay Strong,

Michael "OpenView Mike" Stoller

CEO/Senior Consultant and Engineer

EHI-INSM Inc.

michael.stoller@ehiinsm.com

http://www.ehiinsm.com

Disclaimer: My opinion, remarks, advice, etc. are not indicative of any of my company's policies or procedures. The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.