cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM uses the same port as NNM trapd

boonteongng
Level 1
Level 1

After I install the DFM in a server with NNM, everytime I restart the NNM process or restart the server, NNM trapd process will not be running because the UDP 162 is used by DFM.

I have changed the DFM receving and forwarding port to 6001 and 6000 respectively but still the same. Everytime I need to restart the DFM server for it to release the UDP port 162 to NNM. What can I do to fix this ?

13 Replies 13

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

What is the version of DFM?

It is in LMS2.1. Should be DFM 1.2

Have you installed any DFM IDU as well?

Sorry. May I know what is IDU ?

I just installed the DFM software.

I have the NNM 6.31 and Cisco LMS 2.1 and RWAN 1.2 in the same server.

I found out that the Cisco processes are always launched first before the NNM process. This make the DFM always take up the port 162 although it is configured to other port.

How to make the Ciscoworks launch after the NNM ?

Sorry, IDU = Incremental Device Update which contains new device support and bug fixes. Install the IDU v1.2.3 for DFM 1.2 from: http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-dfm and then see if you run into the same problem or not.

Hi,

I got an advise from Cisco Tac on this problem. His solution is to disable DFM in the auto bootup process for CiscoWorks.

This mean when the NMS is booting up,

1) All ciscoworks processes except DFM will be launched.

2) After that NNM processses will be launched. The ovtrapd will use UDP 162 because DFM is not up yet.

3) After the NNM is up, then only manually run the command to enable the DFM.

Is this the only way ? Any other recommendation ?

I have the same problem with netview. DFM will not release the port 162 with a restart of DFM, netview then successfully grabs the port and DFM can be restarted.

Is there any way to get DFM to start after netview/nnm? Can the order of the startup scripts be changes, this is on solaris by the way.

Hi,

Can you give more information about the resolution of this problem (startup files, etc)

Thanks

John Halikias

kemahnken
Level 1
Level 1

Since you didn't indicate which trapd.conf you changed keep in mind that the configuration file for DFM's trapd listener is located in

/opt/CSCOpx/objects/smarts/conf/trapd -> trapd.conf

by default DFM is installed to listen on port 9000. If NNM wasn't running during installation it'll be set to 162.

The default trapd.conf file located in the above location provides documentation that should assist in properly configuring the process.

Keep in mind that DFM uses traps to complete event / fault correlation and if you don't run DFM's trapd process the environment will not function up to its capabilities. Since only one trapd process can be listening on a port you're going to have to make a choice as to how you want to architect the managment environment. If you use NNM then set the DFM trap to be configured at 9000 and forward traps from the NNM trapd process to the DFM process using port 9000. If you deside to use DFM's trap receiver on port 162 you'll need to set the NNM trapd process to listen on another port.

The simplest is to set the DFM trap receiver to listen on port 9000. Generally, the DFM installer will detect NNM running on port 162 and set itself to use 9000 as well as configure the NNM to forward traps to DFM.

The /opt/CSCOpx/objects/smarts/conf/trapd is configured to use port 9000. But when the ovtrapd (HP Openview deamon) tries to start a message appears "cannot open snmp trap port. The port 162 is in use by another application".

When i restart the service of DFM server and then start manually the ovtrapd deamon everything works fine. But i am searching for a more automatic solution .

Thanks in advance

John Halikias

In CW2K go to the DFM Manager drawer.

Select administration

Select trap configuration

Select trap receiving

Set the port to 9000 instead of 162

Check restart DFM server

select OK - this changes the file listed above and it should hold across a reboot of a system. (This is the GUI way of configuring the Smars/DFM trapd.conf file).

Check the system and see what socket (sm_trapd DFM trap receiver) is listening on netstat -a |grep 162 - if you've defined trapd in the services file you'll have to use the name you defined

The other thing you can try is to go to /etc/rc3.d/S10dmgtd and find the NNM startup file. Either put a sleep at the top of the S10dmgtd or change S10 to be something lower than the SXX in the NNM startup. We don't have NNM loaded so you'll have to search for startup file, though it should be in /etc/rc3.d.

/etc/rc.config.d/CiscoRMCtrl will control what file is used to start /etc/init.d/dmgtd or /etc/rc3.d/S10dmgtd - generally the value in CiscoRMCtrl is set to 1 so the CW2K server will start out of /etc/init.d/dmgtd - Putting a sleep at the top of this file may prevent CW2K from starting the sm_trapd listener before the nnm trap listener.

Remember if you want DFM correlation you're going to have to forward traps from NNM to DFM.

RTM in solaris platform also using port 162 by default. You need to modify some config. file. for RTM other that DFM

BTW - Since you are on solaris, you can just change /etc/rc3.d/S98dmgtd to /etc/rc3.d/S99dmgtd since I'm fairly certain the OV startup scripts are called /etc/rc3.d/S98netmgmt and solaris will process the startup scripts in order (same as you would see them in an ls)