cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

DHCP between VLANs on CISCO4000

Hi,

I have a DHCP server on one VLAN, but the client in other VLANs could not reach the DHCP server. What must i do/enable on the Cisco 4000 for the rest of my clients to obtain the IP Address? Is it DHCP snooping?

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: DHCP between VLANs on CISCO4000

Hi,

Your DHCP server should be reachable by the other VLAN. Hence you need to do some routing on L3. Then you can configure helper-address in vlan interface mode. Your client on the second vlan would get the address via the dhcp server.

Thanks.

Yes, my DHCP server is reachable by the other VLAN. So how am i going to configure the relay? need some guide for the commands here... i would like to configure it in such a way only some VLAN can get the address via the DHCP server... possible? Thanks

Add the following commands

!The following command should be in global config mode

!This is to make sure that bootp service is enabled

!

(config)#ip bootp server

!The following command should be applied to the interface/subinterface

!on the vlan containing the clients. x.x.x.x is the dhcp server ip address

!

(config-if)#ip helper-address x.x.x.x

Make sure that the scope is defined on the dhcp server (including the default gateway -- option "003 Router" on the Microsoft DHCP server).

As far as other vlans, they will not be able to use the DHCP server until the "ip helper-address" is defined on the router AND the DHCP server has a scope defined for that vlan WITH the default gateway defined.

Regards,

Pritish

pritish@yahoo.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content