Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DHCP clarifications

Hi,

While going through one of our old routers configurations I came across a different type of DHCP configurations ..

ip dhcp pool Floor3

import all

network 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0

dns-server 10.0.0.138

default-router 10.0.0.138

domain-name mycompany.com

In the above configuration the network and the default-router are in different subnets. How is it possible to point 10.0.0.138 address as the default router. 10.0.0.138 is ip address of a DMZ server. With this configuration, all the machines are working fine.

Gone through Cisco materials to make sure how its possible. But, I couldn’t find much about. So, is it a good way of assigning like this ??

Thanks

Rajesh

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Purple

Re: DHCP clarifications

Hi Rajesh,

The method you have described above works only because the router interface on that LAN segment has proxy-ARP enabled. The devices would ARP for 10.0.0.138 and since the router has a route to it, it will respond with its own MAC address. While it works, this is bad practice in general and I would not recommend it. You should configure the default gateway to be in the same subnet as the host addresses.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Purple

Yes, they just used that sort of config in order to route through that particular server.

As I said, this not good practice although it does work.

Paresh

6 REPLIES
Purple

Hi Rajesh,

The method you have described above works only because the router interface on that LAN segment has proxy-ARP enabled. The devices would ARP for 10.0.0.138 and since the router has a route to it, it will respond with its own MAC address. While it works, this is bad practice in general and I would not recommend it. You should configure the default gateway to be in the same subnet as the host addresses.

Paresh

Thanks Paresh..

But in this router i cannot see any command like ip proxy-arp inside any of the local interfaces.

I thought of digging out line by line. If i come across any line that helps for DHCP, will let you know.

Thanks

Rajesh

Purple

Hi Rajesh,

Proxy-ARP is enabled by default on Cisco routers. If you issue the following command, it will indicate whether or not proxy-ARP is enabled for that interface:

show ip interface

Paresh

Yes, I can see that Proxy-Arp is enabled in that interface.

So, it seems they used this type of configuration to push all the clients traffic to a particular server. Right ??

Purple

Yes, they just used that sort of config in order to route through that particular server.

As I said, this not good practice although it does work.

Paresh

Okk... got it.

Thanks Paresh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content