Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DHCP failures after 2924->3524 upgrade

I just swapped out a bunch of 2924Cs for 3524-PWR switches preparing for a VoIP rollout. All ports are configured either as access ports for VLAN1 or as dot1q trunks for the phones on VLAN2 and daisy-chained PCs on VLAN1. All ports are configured as PortFast ports. We are finding that older PCs with ISA 10Mb NICs often (but not always) fail to get their DHCP-assigned addresses on startup. One of the PCs with a consistent problem connects thru a small Netgear Dual-Speed hub, thence to the 3524, which would seem to eliminate the 3524 from suspicion, but the problem did not exist on the 2924s. Any ideas?

2 REPLIES

Re: DHCP failures after 2924->3524 upgrade

Assuming that all other related configuration is correct (and I think since the 2924s were working fine, this is a relatively safe assumption), on the surface it looks like a negotation problem. Have you tried manually setting the speed and duplex on the ports to see if that helps? That would be my first step.

Re: DHCP failures after 2924->3524 upgrade

My thought as well, but thinking of that as step backward, we've so far just replaced the NICs with inexpensive PCI 10/100s and the problem goes away. In the one affected machine with no open PCI ports, we just told the user to do a release/renew of his IP and it seems to bypass the problem, if not solve it.

We're now seeing another problem -- in the 4 days the 3524s have been up, we've had 2 NICs fail. Modern ones, same type, came in Dell laptops. Stay tuned.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content