cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP FROM CATALYST 6009

gchat
Level 1
Level 1

WE ARE CURRENTLY IMPLEMENTING A COMPANY-WIDE OPTICAL FIBER NETWORK WITH CATALYST 6009 AS THE HEART OF THE SYSTEM. WE HAVE SIMULATED THE NETWORK OVER LINUX PLATFORM WITH A DHCP SERVER ALLOCATING IPs IN VARIOUS SUBNETS. THE SIMULATION HAS BEEN A PERFECT SUCCESS.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ALLOCATE DHCP FROM THE 6009 SWITCH ITSELF? IF NOT WHY ?

IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO ALLOCATE DHCP FROM THE CATALYST 6009 , HOW DO I PROCEED WITH THE CONFIGURATION ?

3 Replies 3

jwitherell
Level 1
Level 1

Are you asking if the Cat6009 can *be* the DHCP server? If you have Layer 3 switch functionality installed, I beleive the answer is yes, as part of the IOS feature set of the router.

However, I frequently hear the statement that DHCP server facilities on Cisco switches and routers should only be used as a last resort. Evidentally, DHCP server facilities built in are not meant to be the primary server.

Not sure why, but my guesses would be:

-Performance risk by using switch's horsepower on something other than being routing/switching.

-Risk overloading RAM and CPU

-Possibly limited administrative functions of the DHCP server facility

-Possible security risk/vulnerability.

-Just a plain old bad idea

Perhaps someone more in tune with this stance may be able to shed some light for both of us:

Why *not* use the Cat6009, another Cat or router's DHCP services as a primary DHCP server for an organization or campus?

yes, that's right . I want to simulate the network with 6009 acting as the DHCP server. But I am unable to proceed as I dont have the configuration details.

You can read up on the features of the Cat6009 by looking at the product literature and release notes for the version of Catalyst switching software you have. If you have a routing module installed, it will have separate documentation as well that you can read up on the features. The configuration guides and configuration examples on CCO also give alot of good information and tips to start you on the right track. Good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: