cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP IP's for the network devices???

linuxchick
Level 1
Level 1

I'm helping fix a network of about 400 devices (including computers, printers and network devices) spread across 5 buildings. We're having a hard time managing devices, because the person who set up the network set it up to be managed through HP's graphical interface (we have a mix of HP and cisco equipment) and the management software identifies hardware by mac and IP address. Except for the router, one switch and 2 aironets, all network equipment gets its IP though DHCP.

Making matters worse, the management software is the only network map we have and it's not even pulling up the correct equipment. Also, if the map is correct, there are at least 3 loops in our network.

We only found this out because we're reporting an insane number of collisions on our router's ethernet port and have been TRYING to trace the source of the collisions.

We now know we need to set up the network correctly (i.e. giving the equipment static IP's and proper names), but is there anything that can be done in the meantime to solve the collision issue?

1 Reply 1

david.hubbard
Level 1
Level 1

Check the configuration of the interface on the router and the port/interface on the switch. Make sure that Duplex and Speed match on both devices. Usually a high number of collisions/errors on an interface could be a duplex mismatch.

I would certainly work at getting static IP addresses assigned to anything that is not a user workstation

Good luck