Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DHCP on a 3600 router

Hello,

This is my first time starting a conversation. I currently have a 3600 router with a t-1 on a serial interace. I do have two available ethernet ports on this router. Can I run dhcp on one of these interfaces without harming anything?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: DHCP on a 3600 router

Hi Brian,

As stated by the previous post, the DHCP service that you configured in the router gets binded to the corresponding ethernet interface.

It will serve the DHCP requests coming via that interface.

It shouldn't create any problem, if you configure the DHCP server service on this router, which is having the T1 Connection.

-VJ

4 REPLIES

when you set your "ip dhcp pool " you specify the network that DHCP will run on, with the "network" command.

DHCP will run on the interface which has a static IP in that network.

I'm sure it can be more in depth than that, but that's how it's worked for me so far.

Thanks for the fast response. I do have a couple cisco 2600 routers currently running dhcp services, but they are basically used for just that. I was just wondering if dhcp on the same router as our t-1 connection would cause any problems.

Hi Brian,

As stated by the previous post, the DHCP service that you configured in the router gets binded to the corresponding ethernet interface.

It will serve the DHCP requests coming via that interface.

It shouldn't create any problem, if you configure the DHCP server service on this router, which is having the T1 Connection.

-VJ

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Brian

There are many instances where routers run DHCP and it does not cause any problem. While we can not say that there is never a problem and we can not say ahead of time that you will not have a problem, it is very unlikely that you would cause any problem by running DHCP on your router.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content