Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DHCP problems in VLANs

I have a DHCP server setup in my default VLAN1. I have two other VLANs and I have configured iphelper address for those two vlans

I have no problem in the default vlan. I get the DHCP addresses fast without an issue. The dhcp server is also in default vlan

I have configured the ip helper address only in core switches. do I need to configure them for all individual switches. please let me know.

4 REPLIES

Re: DHCP problems in VLANs

You need to put the "ip helper-address x.x.x.x" under the Layer 3 interface where the client's default gateway is. for example, client in vlan x needs IP address from the DHCP server in vlan 1. At the layer 3 device, this would be the router or L3 switch doing the L3 or inter-vlan routing,under interface vlax x is where you will put "ip helper-address

Please rate helpful posts.

Hi,

If your core switches are the default gateway for those users on those two VLANs and that's where you need to configure the 'ip helper-address (dhcp_ip)' command. If you have already done that and still having problems it might be due to spanning tree convergence. Configure

'spanning-tree portfast' on the ports to which users are connected.

Let us know if it helped.

Regards,

Sundar

I had a similar problem and the only way I could get DHCP to work was to add the "Directed-Broadcasts" command to the vlan interfaces. Hope this helps.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Is it possible that your helper address configuration gave the address to forward to as a subnet broadcast (something like ip helper-address 172.16.6.255)?

This would require enabling directed broadcast on the interface where the server(s) is located.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content