Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dhcp relaying???

I have 2 networks joined by a T1 with a 1720 on each end of it. I use a W2K server for dhcp and have 2 zones created for each network. One is 10.10.10.x/255.255.255.0 and the other is 10.10.20.x/255.255.255.0. I can't get the .20 network to use dhcp. I have dhcp enabled on the clients and i have fumbled around with some iphelper addresses with no avail. My dns/dhcp server is 10.10.10.252. Any help would be great....

3 REPLIES

Re: dhcp relaying???

Lets say you have router A with the remote clients and router B with the local clients and DHCP server. You must have the command "ip helper-address 10.10.10.252" issued on the interface that connects the router A clients (interface fastethernet0 or whatever). This will make the dhcp broadcast request a unicast to the DHCP server. Ensure you dont have NAT running between the two subnets because the DHCP server will used the proxied DHCP requesting routers address to pull from the appropriate pool. Check your DHCP pool for accuracy as well. As an alternative you can setup the 1720 as a DHCP server as well.

ip dhcp pool test

network 10.10.20.0 255.255.255.0

dns-server X.X.X.X

netbios-name-server X.X.X.X

netbios-node-type h-node

domain-name cisco.com

default-router 10.10.20.1

lease 10 <--- Ten days lease length

Anonymous
N/A

This worked like a charm. Thing is now i can't ping from B to A or remote control workstations with VNC. Any ideas on this?

Check the default route you are passing the clients via DHCP that it is their router address. post your config if this is correct and I will take a look.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content