cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP server on cisco 2600

pablinkus
Level 1
Level 1

I´m trying to use a Cisco 2621 router as a DHCP server, but I´ve two problems.

First : I need to set a short lease time ( about 10 seconds ), but the minimo it allows is a minute. I´ve tried with the dhcp client ( in linux ) to ask for a minor lease time but it doesn´t work. Does the server always fix its lease time?

How can I renew this IP address if I change of network?

Second : Can I assign an constant IP address to a specific host?

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

In your DHCP pool do the following for static mapping of IP's

You must create a pool for each static mapping, there is no limit as to how many you can have.

Router(config)# ip dhcp pool

Router(config-dhcp)#

Router(config-dhcp)# type

As far as making the DHCP lease 10 seconds, I am unsure. I would be interested as to why the lease needs to be this short?

Hello Andrew ,

thank you for answering me. I beg your perdon for not replaying you before but I was on holidays.

The reason I need to set a very short time for the DHCP server is that I´m making tests with MobileIP ¿ do you know it ?, and I´m changing from one network to another one continuously, so I need the laptop realizes it has changed the network quickly.

Thanks a lot for your help

Pablo

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

Sorry submitted it withouot finishing, here is the correct reply:

You must create a pool for each static mapping, there is no limit as to how many you can have.

Router(config)# ip dhcp pool

Router(config-dhcp)# host

Router(config-dhcp)#

For example

ip dhcp pool test

host 172.16.2.254

hardware-address 02c7.f800.0422 ieee802

As far as making the DHCP lease 10 seconds, I am unsure. I would be interested as to why the lease needs to be this short?

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

Just realized that if you place words in between the karot characters, the words will disapear.

Sorry submitted it withouot finishing, here is the correct reply:

Router(config)# ip dhcp pool (name)

Router(config-dhcp)# host (ip address)

Router(config-dhcp)# (hardware-address)

For example

ip dhcp pool test

host 172.16.2.254

hardware-address 02c7.f800.0422 ieee802