Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial-In DHCP pool

gprokscha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

out branch office have a NT server handing out IP addresses to the local PC's. We also got 2600 at those sites with NM-8AM cards. When users dial into the router, I would like to hand out IP addresses to them.

Hence I created a DHCP pool called dialin-users, however, sometime the router also hands out IP addresses to the LAN machines. Is there any way I can tell the router only to hand out IP addresses to the dialin users not to any DHCP request coming on on the ethernet port?

Cheers,

Gordon

3 Replies 3

5r-graves
Level 1
Level 1

Here is a sample of how we did the same thing with our AS5300's.

interface Group-Async1

ip unnumbered Ethernet0

encapsulation ppp

async mode interactive

peer default ip address pool default

ppp authentication pap

group-range 1 108

!

ip local pool default 192.168.9.103 192.168.9.249

The interface Group-Async1 command groups all your modems together.

The group-range command 1-108 takes all of our 108 modems and applies them to this interface.

The peer default ip address pool default command telles the interface to pull an address from the ip pool.

The ip local pool default 192.168.9.103 192.168.9.249 command creates the ip pool.

These steps only allow the IP pool to issue addresses to dial up connections. If I was to hook up a PC on the same segment as our RAS, it would not pull an IP address from the router.

OK cool. thanks for that. But how do I give the dial-in clients a DNS server? I only seem to be able to hand out IP addresses with the local pool command?

OK, I just sussed it out. Allocate other properties suc as DNS server etc wiht the async-bootp command.

Works a treat. Thanks guys!

Gordon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: